Writing a unit test to test support for proxied connections in a computer that is not behind a proxy?

Adrián Chaves Fernández adriyetichaves at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 05:46:47 UTC 2014

First of all: I’m not to this list, I joined for the request of help that follows. Sorry if this has been discussed already, but “kde-testing” is not listed in http://lists.kde.org/ (search tool), and googling for “Proxy site:mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-testing” did not through any result.

I’m trying to maintain the KDE MediaWiki Library, so far only used by KIPI plugins, but I have some pet projects that rely on it as well. As part of that, I aim to keep the list of bug reports and feature requests (https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=libmediawiki&component=general&resolution=---&list_id=1061346) empty. As the library is barely used it is a fairly easy task, however I can’t figure out how to start with the only reported issue (feature request) so far: proxy support.

I’m confident that I will be able to figure out how to implement the feature reading the API docs. I’m sure that there are several ways for me to make my computer think that it is behind a proxy, or to actually put it behind a proxy somehow (I can probably do something to the router to achieve that). But since I’m not usually behind a proxy myself, what I want first is to write a unit test for this feature, to make sure that I do not break it in the future.

Has anyone here ever written a unit test to test support for proxied connections in a computer that is not behind a proxy? Do you think that it is possible? Specifically testing that the software uses the (KDE) system-wide proxy settings?