About the audio/video chat solution for Plasma Active 3

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 17:01:56 UTC 2012

I think we need to do this in two parts.

1) Make a desktop app. Really really simple, don't get bogged down
messing about with QML, handling multiple users or any other such
nonsense.

In order to do this we need:
 - Code in Telepathy-Qt-Yell
and that's it.

We don't need it merged into TpQt to start on this, tbh I don't think
we even need it merged to ship we can just compile it statically with
the call-ui.

Once we have a basic app, lots of people will be around to help add
polish/features afterwards. From experience it's far better to be
simple and iterative, than to try and do lots, get stuck and just
crash and burn.

2) Making a Plasma app.

Afterwards this should be simple enough, I think we should make the
desktop client first as it's far easier to iron our all the bugs
there. We did this for the Text-UI and made a plasmoid once I knew
what was needed and what needed doing. It was a pretty smooth process.

As for sponsorship, I've been talking to Martin. It's unlikely that
any one person will code all this, as there's lots of little tasks -
if we did get any sponsorship it should be split on a per-task basis.
Personally I'd be happy to be sponsored as I am truly amazing and good
at getting stuff done. It would allow me to have more time hacking as
I could cut down on my hours teaching.

I think the key is getting this TpQtYell work done. I think the spec
is fixed enough now that it can be started. The question is whether
Collabora are going to do it, which they'll only do if they have a
client who wants them, or whether we will have to. I'd only hack on
TpQt if I was being paid to do it as it's boring, I imagine many
others feel the same. I can ping their mailing list and find out as
this is the important part.

Dave