The GSOC Thread

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 11:31:04 UTC 2012

On 08/02/12 10:25, David Edmundson wrote:
> It's that time of year again!
>
> Can people start brainstorming ideas for GSOC projects we want to do?
> I'd rather people discussed here first rather than adding to the wiki
> page directly. Then we'll move it to the official wiki page later.
>
> Also who is intending to run for GSOC, and who is happy to mentor?
>
> I expect to be a mentor again this year.

Just brainstorming some ideas:

1) Enhancements the presence system
    - Presence based on current activity
    - Presence groups* (should be supported by xmpp, I don't know if
      telepathy supports it)

*show online status to some contacts and busy to others

(This one should be probably upstream)
2) We need a better way to know which applications are installed and
    what they support. At the moment for desktop sharing we are using
    the service watcher to check for krfb, but instead we should check
    if the user has any service capable of that.

3a) Nepomuk service for exporting logging from tp-logger to nepomuk
3b) Nepomuk service for synchronization of folks and nepomuk contacts
    (But we should talk about this with PIM and with folks developers)
    This probably also include writing a Folks-Qt binding library.

4) Something with zeitgeist?

5) With p2pdbus merged in qt 4.8 and DBusTubes branch that will be
    released soon, we still have the problem that in peer to peer DBus
    there is no DBus server, so it is difficult to know when something
    happens (registering and unregistering of objects and services).
    It would be really nice if we could have an object that we can
    register on the connection as the first object and that gives you an
    interface similar to the DBus one.

6) Porting some app to use DBusTubes?

I'll be happy to mentor someone as well...

Cheers,
  Daniele