[GSoC]Integration of kde-telepathy into the Plasma Workspace

Francesco Nwokeka francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 17:36:34 CEST 2011

On Tuesday 29 March 2011 16:05:50 George Goldberg wrote:
> On 29 March 2011 15:40, Francesco Nwokeka <francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >        first off, a quick presentation of myself. I'm a student at the
> > university of Padova in Italy and I study computer science.
> > My name is Francesco Nwokeka( irc: nwoki ) and I would like to apply to
> > GSoC with the following project: "The integration of kde-telepathy into
> > the Plasma Workspace".
>
> Hi Francesco,
>
> Thanks for sending this proposal :)
>
> > Well, as written here(
> > http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_Innovative_new_UI.2FInt
> > eraction_Methods) i want to add a new way of interacting with contacts
> > and the way they are displayed to the user.
> >
> > What will I do in this project?
> >
> > * add two new contact list views in QML
> > The two views will consist in a "classic" listview and a gridview (
> > haven't seen any im-clients with this ) that can be interchangable. The
> > user will have 3 choices for contact visualization: normal contac-list,
> > QML contact list, QML gridview list.
> > Both QML contact-list and QML gridview-list will have two or more
> > different visualizations to choose from. These will be editable in the
> > settings menu of the chat-ui
>
> Sounds cool.
>
> > * implment drag-n-drop from the contact-list( any of the three mentioned
> > above ) to the plasma workspace
> > The user will have the possibility to 'drag and drop' his/her contacts,
> > from any of the above described contac lists, the the plasma workspace.
> > This will result in the creation of a "contact- plasmoid" ( description
> > below ) with which the user can interact to do a variety of different
> > actions.
>
> Again, ++ to this idea :)
>
> > Actions that will range from the most simple ones like viewing contact
> > information, starting a 1 on 1 im-chat, a video or audio call or send
> > mail, to more complex actions. For example the possibility to initiate
> > an online kde-game directly with the contact, collaboration on documents
> > and sharing folders.
>
> How will this work? How will the plasmoid know what actions are
> possible on a user (based on the underlying telepathy capabilities and
> installed applications, and also what the target user has at their
> end)?

Document collaboration: an "invite" will be sent from one user to another. A new component
will have to be created and integrated into kde-telepathy to allow users to work on the same
document at the same time

Shared folders: the user will have the possibility to create a shared folder per client. Dropbox
style

KDE-games: an "invite to game" action will be created for every kde-game the user has
installed on his/her computer ( as i think they all support online gaming ) and an invite will be
sent. If the recieving contact doesn't have the requested game a response will be sent back
telling the user that che contact is missing the game

> >> With this feature the user will have his/her favorite contacts on the
> >> plasma-workspace not even a
> >
> > click away so instead of opening a contact list and searching for the
> > contact, all the user has to do is click on the desktop plasmoid.
> >
> > There will also be the possibility to group these contact-plasmoids in
> > custom groups defined by the user to satisfy his/her needs and with a
> > grouping method which best suits him/her. All this in a lightweight
> > plasmoid that will be designed not to be invasive and not to clutter the
> > workspace.
> >

> > To be able to satisfy the previously described features, the following
> > need to be met ( also included in my project ) :
> >
> > * implement a collaboration feature for kde-telepathy
>
> What does this mean?
Using Telepathy tubes I was thinking of creating a component in kde-telepathy able to handle
collaboration between two users for the same document