[GSoC]Integration of kde-telepathy into the Plasma Workspace

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:05:50 CEST 2011

On 29 March 2011 15:40, Francesco Nwokeka <francesco.nwokeka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>        first off, a quick presentation of myself. I'm a student at the university of Padova in Italy
> and I study computer science.
> My name is Francesco Nwokeka( irc: nwoki ) and I would like to apply to GSoC with the following
> project: "The integration of kde-telepathy into the Plasma Workspace".

Hi Francesco,

Thanks for sending this proposal :)

> Well, as written here(
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_Innovative_new_UI.2FInteraction_Methods) i want to
> add a new way of interacting with contacts and the way they are displayed to the user.
>
> What will I do in this project?
>
> * add two new contact list views in QML
> The two views will consist in a "classic" listview and a gridview ( haven't seen any im-clients with
> this ) that can be interchangable. The user will have 3 choices for contact visualization: normal
> contac-list, QML contact list, QML gridview list.
> Both QML contact-list and QML gridview-list will have two or more different visualizations to choose
> from. These will be editable in the settings menu of the chat-ui

Sounds cool.

> * implment drag-n-drop from the contact-list( any of the three mentioned above ) to the plasma
> workspace
> The user will have the possibility to 'drag and drop' his/her contacts, from any of the above
> described contac lists, the the plasma workspace. This will result in the creation of a "contact-
> plasmoid" ( description below ) with which the user can interact to do a variety of different
> actions.

Again, ++ to this idea :)

> Actions that will range from the most simple ones like viewing contact information, starting a 1 on
> 1 im-chat, a video or audio call or send mail, to more complex actions. For example the possibility
> to initiate an online kde-game directly with the contact, collaboration on documents and sharing
> folders.

How will this work? How will the plasmoid know what actions are
possible on a user (based on the underlying telepathy capabilities and
installed applications, and also what the target user has at their
end)?

>> With this feature the user will have his/her favorite contacts on the plasma-workspace not even a
> click away so instead of opening a contact list and searching for the contact, all the user has to
> do is click on the desktop plasmoid.
>
> There will also be the possibility to group these contact-plasmoids in custom groups defined by the
> user to satisfy his/her needs and with a grouping method which best suits him/her.
> All this in a lightweight plasmoid that will be designed not to be invasive and not to clutter the
> workspace.
>

> To be able to satisfy the previously described features, the following need to be met ( also
> included in my project ) :
>
> * implement a collaboration feature for kde-telepathy

What does this mean?

--
George