[SOK24] to-dos for new contributors (bookmark this email)

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Mon Jan 15 13:24:12 GMT 2024

Please reply to kde-soc at kde.org.

This is the last email we will send to new contributors individually in
CC. All official communication after this will happen over the kde-soc
mailing list <https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-soc>.

This email includes important information for new contributors in Season
of KDE. Please read it carefully.

During SOK24 you will be communicating regularly with the community. KDE
offers contributors numerous platforms to facilitate communication and
collaboration. A list of to-dos and KDE services is included below.

After reading this email make sure to register for new accounts in order
to start communicating with the KDE community and collaborating with
your team.

Remember, you're not alone in your journey in SOK24! KDE is a community,
and Season of KDE is a great opportunity to become more involved. Use
the communication channels and mailing lists mentioned here, and those
related to your projects.

When you have questions, don't hesitate to ask mentors or us in the
management team (kde-soc-management at kde.org). Mentors are here to guide
you, and we're all here to help and are excited to learn about your
progress!

The timeline for Season Of KDE 2024 can be found here:
https://mentorship.kde.org/sok/

== TO-DOs ==

_Status Reports_

During SOK24 you will need to maintain a Status Report at
<https://community.kde.org/SoK/2024/StatusReport>. It is best to update
this weekly.

See past Status Reports in the community wiki for examples.

_Blogging_

You will need to blog at least twice during the 10 weeks of SOK24 --
although we encourage you to blog more when you can! Blogging is how
developers, artists, translators, and other KDE contributors communicate
with the wider KDE community; see planet.kde.org for examples of
community blogging.

      (1) Your first blog post will need to be published between weeks
3-5 of SOK24. This post should include information about your project,
what you have achieved so far, what you plan to do before the end of
work, as well as offer some reflection on what has not gone so well and
how it can be improved.

      (2) Your second blog post will be published after the end of work
on 31 March. This will be a co-authored blog post with all other new
contributors in SOK24. In this post you will celebrate your achievements
and identify ways to advance the project going forward.

Information about blogging platforms for you to use during SOK is
provided below.

_Email & Chat_

Important: ask your mentor(s) about the communication channels used by
your team so you can subscribe to them asap.

You should already be subscribed to the 'kde-soc' mailing list at
<https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-soc>. Here we will officially
update new contributors about Season of KDE. Many previous Season of KDE
and Google Summer of Code (GSoC) contributors are subscribed to the list
as well.

Also, please join the mentorship Matrix room
<https://matrix.to/#/#kde-mentorship:kde.org> to chat with mentors and
previous SOK and GSoC contributors.

It is also important to subscribe to the 'kde-community' mailing at
<https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-community>. Here you can
participate in community-wide discussions.

== KDE SERVICES ==

_Invent_ (GitLab)

KDE's GitLab instance is found at <https://invent.kde.org>. You should
already have an account there. If not, please contact your mentors asap.

*Important*: Your Invent (GitLab) credentials are used to log in to
several KDE services.

_Matrix_

KDE uses Matrix as its primary chat platform. If you do not already have
an account, follow the instructions here:
<https://community.kde.org/Matrix#Registering_and_Logging_in>. Once you
have a Matrix account, please join the Matrix rooms used by your team
and those rooms listed here.

_Blogging_

If you have one, you can use your own personal blog during SOK24. You
will simply need to add it to the feed of planet.kde.org at
<https://invent.kde.org/websites/planet-kde-org>.

If you do not have a personal blog, you can use mentorship.kde.org/blog
for blogging. We use Hugo for our website. Just write your blog post in
markdown and make an MR at
<https://invent.kde.org/websites/mentorship-kde-org>.

An example blog post written in Markdown (from Johnny) can be found at
<https://invent.kde.org/websites/mentorship-kde-org/-/blob/master/content/blog/2023-12-16-sok-2024.md>.

_Collaborate_ (NextCloud)

KDE's NextCloud instance is found at
<https://collaborate.kde.org/login>. Collaborate is useful for sharing
and syncing files with others. You can log in to Collaborate with your
Invent (GitLab) credentials.

_Discuss_ (Discourse)

KDE's forum is called Discuss, which uses the Discourse software. The
forum can be found at <https://discuss.kde.org/>. You can log in to
Discuss with your Invent (GitLab) credentials.

If you have any questions about the information above, please be in
touch with us or the project mentors any time. We are here to help!

Cheers,

Joseph & Johnny
(on behalf of the mentorship team)

Hashtag: #SOK24
(uppercase O for screen readers)

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social