KDESDK to git migration: how many repos for the small developer utils?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon May 28 15:26:45 UTC 2012

Am Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012, 19:20:34 schrieb Michael Pyne:
> On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 18:31:12 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > How should these submodules be split?
> > a) One repo with all?
> > b) "scripts" in a separate repo, rest in one?
> > c) Each an own repo?
> > d) ?
>
> I would vote for b) as well. It keeps all the scripts together without
> implying that there is a build step required (even the shell CMakeLists.txt
> just installs the scripts directly).

Okay, so let's go with b) then, given that you, Michael, are a big stakeholder
as maintainer of scripts :) and no one else has had/raised a strong opinion
against this.

Now we need names for these two repos.

a) scripts
Michael proposed to rename "scripts" to "kde-developer-scripts", "to make it
more clear what their intent is", which I agree to. Anyone disagrees?
Or perhaps just "kde-dev-scripts", to have it shorter? The display name of
course then would be the full "KDE Developer Scripts".

b) utils
As said before, this repo would include all small utilities for developers
using...
... KDE libs/framework:
* kpartloader - program loading kparts

... Qt libs/framework:
* kuiviewer - program displaying UI files
* kprofilemethod - C++-header for profiling using QTime

... X libs:
* kstartperf - program measuring startup time using preload of XMapWindow()

* kmtrace - program for malloc debugging using glibc's "mtrace"

So call it "developer-utils"/"dev-utils"? "kde-dev-utils"?

> However Albert had mentioned that changing the module name would be annoying
> from a translation perspective, we'd want to double-check what is necessary
> to merge the different submodules into one/two git modules at the end.

Yes, just checking on the kde-scm-interest ml how joining a few submodules in
a single repo might have problems.

Cheers
Friedrich