[Summary] Re: Setting up HP OfficeJet T65

Kjetil Kjernsmo kde-print@mail.kde.org
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:07:37 +0200

Hi!

Yeeeehaa! It works, thanks a lot!

On Monday 07 October 2002 10:46, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> First, make sure, that the "ptal:/" backend shows up amongst the
> output of the (root) command "lpinfo -v".
>
> Second, in the "kaddprintwizard" series of dialogs, when you arrive
> at "Backend Selection", use the "Other printer type" checkbox, before
> moving on with "Next". The next screen ("URI Selection") should also
> show the ptal backend (in the "direct" branch).

Yeah, with the advices of both of you, it was quite straightforward.
I'll sum it up, in case somebody is googling the archives for the
solution:

It is a good idea to start off by installing the Foomatic system. With
my Debian distro, this is just a matter of
apt-get install foomatic*

Then it is indeed just a matter of choosing "Other printer type" during
the "Backend Selection", and cut'n'paste in ptal:/ [...] that you can
see with lpinfo -v into the URI field.

When you now arrive at the lists of printers, it will be updated with
the Foomatic database, and that enables you to choose OfficeJet T65
straightforwardly. Afterwards, you may choose drivers, you get two
choices, I chose HPIJS and it works great.

That's it! :-)

Thanks for the help, it solved the problem excellently!

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo