Setting up HP OfficeJet T65

Michael Goffioul kde-print@mail.kde.org
Mon, 07 Oct 2002 10:49:07 +0200

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> Hello folks!
>
> I'm setting up a HP OfficeJet T65 on the (only) parallell port of a box
> running Debian Woody, but I have so far been unsuccessful in getting it to
> work with KDEPrint. But the KDEPrint UI is really neat, so I would really
> like it to work. I have no particular preferences when it comes to print
> system, but I'm sure CUPS is fine, so if anybody could help me set that up, I
> would be happy!
>
> I'm using the HPOJ package supplied with Woody, that's the latest 0.8 version.
> The ptal-* daemons are running fine, and I think the CUPS daemon is fine too,
> though I haven't tested it (don't know how).
>
> I can print, using a hacked-up shell-script I wrote on the basis of HPOJ and
> HPIJS docs ( http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/hpoj-0.8/doc/setup-print.html ):
> #! /bin/sh
> cat $1 | gs -q -sDEVICE=hpijs -sDeviceName=DJ8xx -r300x300 -sPAPERSIZE=a4
> -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sOutputFile=- - | ptal-print mlc:par:0
> But printing a PS-file using this is not by far as nice as the KDEPrint GUI...
> :-) Besides, there is no queue.
>
> However, as can be seen from the above DeviceName, the DeskJet 800C series
> HPIJS driver can be used for this printer. But that's not an option when
> choosing printer from the list of "Add Printer Wizard". I've tried the 810C
> option, but I can't print the test page, so I haven't explored that further.
> The printer seems to be detected OK by this wizard, the correct name pops up
> in the "local port selection" dialogue.
>
> Does anybody have an idea where I should go on from here? Perhaps it is just a
> matter of letting CUSP know about this HPIJS DJ8xx driver, but how do I do
> that?

I think the easiest would be to use the Foomatic driver framework
(see http://www.linuxprinting.org). Once installed, KDEPrint can make
use of it, and you'll see "HP OfficeJet T65" in the printer model
selector. The recommanded driver by Foomatic, is actually the hpijs
driver (so it must be built-in into your local ghostscript).

Note: you'll need a recent version of KDE, 3.0.x should be enough (no need
for beta).

Michael Goffioul		IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be	(Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510		Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515		3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM