[kde-linux] System -> Printing doesn't work.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 21:37:29 UTC 2009

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2009 12:34:20 Dale wrote:
>
>> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> Debian 5.0 + KDE 4.2 from Debian experimental.
>>>
>> I think people need to understand
>> that KDE 4 is a work in progress.  While it installs and runs, it
>> shouldn't really be a main desktop just yet.  Also we need to understand
>> that even KDE knows it is not really stable yet.  It's still being
>> tested and they are fixing problems and adding features as we type.
>>

> As was KDE 3.2 or even KDE 3.5.0.  KDE 4.2 is meant for day-to-day use for
> average users.  It is ready to be the main desktop for many users.  The
> official KDE 4.2 release announcement makes this clear.
>
> Yes, there are sharp corners and it is undergoing constant improvement, but
> that is true of virtually every KDE release.
>
> I held off on KDE 4 until KDE 4.2, because it was too much of a reduction in
> quality and functionality in the KDE 4.0 (basically a developer-only
> release) and KDE 4.1 (basically an early-adopter release).
>
> I have noticed a mild reduction in quality and functionality when switching
> from KDE 3.5.10 to KDE 4.2.0, but not enough to go back as I enjoy the
> additional features.  Konqueror crashes on more sites, Kmail/Kontact crashes
> a bit more often, Konsole doesn't remember its size correctly; I miss some
> of my kicker applets that haven't been converted to plamsa widgets yet (or
> are useless for my purposes in their new incarnation) and some of the
> wallpaper options.  But, none of these problems are severe, and I think a
> lot of them will be resolved during the KDE 4.2.x line, which I intend to
> stick with until KDE project maintenance stops.

I just in the past week installed KDE 4.2.0-r3 and it still lacks a LOT
of things.  It may be somewhat usable but I could not even think of
switching to it and not having my older KDE to fall back on.  I even
removed KDE 4 because it is not even close to being ready yet.  I'm not
saying it crashes or destroys data but it still has a long ways to go.

Also, I been around long enough to remember the first releases of KDE
3.  I was around when Mandrake was still out.  That was my first install.

I'm waiting for it to be a little faster, more programs that work and
added functionality as well.  It will get there pretty soon but not
there yet.

Dale

:-)  :-)