[kde-linux] Restoring Kontact data

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Mon Nov 21 05:02:45 UTC 2005

On Sunday 20 November 2005 18:52, Paul Brannon wrote:
> >On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:31 am, Paul Brannon wrote:
> >> I've moved some of my mail files from the cd
> >> to /home/paul/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.inbox.directory.  I now have
> >> my folder structure back in mail, all my mail seems to have made the
> >> trip, but when I click on a mail, I get "No Subject" and the email is
> >> empty.

> >I had the same problem; IIRC it turned out to be a result of permissions
> >changing during the cd copying process. Changing the permissions on the

> I've checked my permissions and they are all fine, I've deleted the indexes
> and still get empty emails even though the emails are there.  I also can't
> find where the Calendar and Address book entries are or go.

On KDE 3.4.0 (SuSE 9.3) I have the Calendar in
~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics    and the Address book in
 ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf

Concerning the mail, I transferred mine from ~/Mail  (SuSE 9.1)
to~/ .kde/share/apps/kmail/mail  (SuSE 9.3)    *it moved*.
(also had to deal with permission in order just to copy).
Check that you copied all the hidden files (most contain the world "index"),
(there are more of them in hidden folders) and that they have the right
permission (owner) too.
Also check that you copied each folder down to folders "cur" and that they
really contain your mail (Konqueror should be able to open them directly)

Hope that helps   Perry