[Kde-games-devel] Theming support

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Tue Mar 20 01:53:06 CET 2007

Ian Wadham wrote:
> What is the reason for the themerc file here, as opposed to *.desktop, which
> could contain all the same info, and whatever else is required by the game?
>
> The idea of *.desktop is that the "Name" item in *.desktop files (i.e. the
> name of the theme on menus or dialogs) gets picked up and translated
> automatically, via the "scripty" mechanism.  It would be nice if scripty
> could add *.theme to its search list, as I have suggested before.

I agree 120% with Ian here! I do not see the need for anything but a
.desktop file that is used as metadata (translatable and adapted to
scripty), and the SVG/sound files themselves. Maybe there are legitimate
user cases for more complexity, but not in the games I am working on, at
least so far.
How can we add .theme to scripty? Someone mentioned as well that
.desktop is the standard name for these types of configuration files in
the cross desktop project, so maybe we should keep it anyway?

> Re compression, tarring, etc. (see other posts), I don't think we truly need
> anything super-efficient at this stage.  Theme files do not seem to be very
> large (provided you use Vacuum Defs - and maybe .svgz - in Inkscape).
> Widespread use and availability of the packaging/unpackaging method
> should be our main concern, IMHO.

My suggestion is that we just wait the next couple of weeks, and see
what KNewStuff2 will bring us. We should probably conform to the
methods/compression schemes defined in KNewStuff2, instead of
re-inventing our own installation components.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini