[Kde-games-devel] Theming support

Mauricio Piacentini mauricio at tabuleiro.com
Fri Mar 16 17:52:11 CET 2007

> 4. To make it easy to share and manage themes, I think we need to have
>> "ONE theme" = "ONE file". For this, we could:
>> - extend the SVG file format (not easy and with drawbacks)
>> - ZIP (or TAR or wahtever...) the KConfig file ".desktop" together with
>> the SVG file in ONE "KDE Game Theme" file. May be the best approach.
>

> In any case, we must have 1 file (kde-look only allow that). But there was
> an issue with
> getHotNewStuff from kde 3.5, files can't be properly deleted after install.
> I hope it is fixed with  getHotNewStuff2.

I do not think we can restrict in-disk themes to only have one file. At
least one .desktop (for localization) and one SVG are needed in most
cases, and in others it might even be desireable to have multiple art
files, optionally within a directory structure, who knows. I believe
choosing the best format is up to the game maintainer. After all, themes
will not be interchangeable between different games in most cases, right?
Of course, for distribution on kde-look and integration with KNewStuff
the resources should be compressed in a single (.tar.gz) file. Am I
wrong or this is already handled by KNewStuff?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini