[Kde-games-devel] Theming support

Nicolas Roffet nicolas-kde at roffet.com
Fri Mar 16 10:13:09 CET 2007

Hi,

Some thoughts about this topic "Theming".

1. For KBlackBox, I wanted to make the selection of a theme quite simple:
 - look for all theme files in the standard directory with KStandardDirs
and add a menu entry in a sub-menu "Themes" of the menu "Settings" for
each theme found.
 - Add a menu entry "Select custom theme..." that opens the standard "open
file" KDE dialog.

2. But in fact, I realy like the idea of Johann to use the getHotNewStuff
framework also.

3. Anyway, we should try to "keep it smart & simple" for KDE 4.0 because
time is running and we are not finished yet. So I think I won't work on
this topic right now...

4. To make it easy to share and manage themes, I think we need to have
"ONE theme" = "ONE file". For this, we could:
 - extend the SVG file format (not easy and with drawbacks)
 - ZIP (or TAR or wahtever...) the KConfig file ".desktop" together with
the SVG file in ONE "KDE Game Theme" file. May be the best approach.
 - any other ideas?...

5. Other point: If we share some backgrounds between several games, why
not put them in libkdegames?

--
Nicolas