D25119: KF5::BreezeIcons shared library to have all breeze/breeze-dark icons and default to breeze icons set

Alain Boyer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Nov 20 16:59:20 GMT 2020

aboyer added a comment.

  From my limited understanding of the theming system for KDE applications on Windows, the application needs to expose a drop down menu with a list of themes so that a user can switch to their desired theme. Even if we linked a disabled version of the library and enabled it in Craft, it wouldn't do anything since the application needs code to display a list of themes and a slot to change the theme. Given this requirement, I see this as a compile time option where an application must opt-in, link to KF5BreezeIcons.dll and add the code displaying the theme list. This is based on my understanding of how Kate handles themes. I have not looked into any other application. There might be a more generic way of changing/configuring themes for KDE applications on Windows that I am not aware of.

  That being said, putting the icon themes behind a CMake feature flag and linking all applications to KF5BreezeIcons.dll will not work for another reason. When disabled, the KF5BreezeIcons.dll library would contain no exported symbols, the KF5BreezeIcons.lib file would not get generated and the build would break for all applications. This is precisely the problem I am trying to fix with my proposal.

  If there are no other comments, I will go forward with my proposal when I get a chance. I need to do some testing and will update the patch here.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons