D28353: Changed contrast effect values to have more transparency, and then changed transparency accordingly

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 28 18:37:58 GMT 2020

ngraham resigned from this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  Maybe it was that darned plasma cache! Re-applying the patch and clearing the cache substantially improved the appearance. It would be helpful to remind people of those details in the Test Plan section in the future. :)

  Looking at it for realziez, I think it's okay. The appearance is indeed improved IMO when the wallpaper is visible, especially when the wallpaper is very visually striking: F8203301: Screenshot_20200328_123057.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8203301>

  However as you can see from that screenshot, the background color of the pop-up still differs from the color of the panel.

  And the panel transparency effect is still a bit too pronounced for my tastes when a visually striking wallpaper is being covered by windows and only the panel is still visible. It results in a significant difference between the background colors of the panel and plasma pop-ups that appear on top of windows: F8203294: Screenshot_20200328_122908.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F8203294>

  I might have proposed this before, but I think an improvement would be to dynamically change the transparency of the panel and pop-ups from widgets living in it based on the proximity of windows; when a window is butted up against a panel, the background color of that panel as well as all pop-ups of widgets living on that panel would become opaque, and when the window moved away, un-maximized, or tiled, they would resume being transparent. I think this would look //great// and would seem to satisfy everyone: people who want pretty transparency when the wallpaper is visible would get it, and people who want maximum legibility and visual consistency when the system is being used heavily would get that too.

  Of course that's a bit more ambitious than what could be done in this patch, but I think it's a good way forward. However I won't block this patch in its current form as it's no longer the usability regression that I originally and mistakenly feared.

REPOSITORY
  R242 Plasma Framework (Library)