D27951: Allow users to change dropAction to MoveAction through kdeglobals

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Mar 23 21:01:03 GMT 2020

ngraham added a comment.

  Just to add a different perspective on this, while I agree that "many users want it" isn't an automatic justification, I don't think it should carry no weight, either. We are making this software for users, and we ought to pay attention to their desires. Yes, it's our job to give then what they really //need//, not necessarily what they //ask for//. However when users consistently complain about the same thing over an extended period of time, I think we'd be remiss to ignore that and say the users don't know what they're talking about and we know better. Maybe sometimes we do, but that should be something we continuously challenge and verify rather than assuming it.

  I see this as a "powerful when needed" feature. The determinism of always showing a menu is indeed highly usable for novice or normal users, but eventually I think it starts to feel annoying for power users. I think it's pretty likely for the most common drag-and-drop operation to be a regular move from one location on the same partition to another one, and if you realize this, I think it's nice to have that be a default rather than getting asked every time.

  Speaking personally, every time I drag-and-drop from one local location to another on the same partition after forgetting to hold down the shift key, a little voice in my head says, "darn it, why can it just copy by default?"

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO