D28169: [DesktopExecParser] Let the service open protocols is claims to support

David Faure noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 21 09:34:50 GMT 2020

dfaure added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> ahmadsamir wrote in desktopexecparser.cpp:350
> Indeed.
>
> However I still think the condition is flawed:
>
> - vlc.desktop says it supports smb:// so "supported" is true, !supported is false, we go the branch of ||, userName is not empty but password is empty, go to KIOFuse
> - but what if both the userName and password _aren't_ empty, vlc is already out of the picture
>
> IIUC, vlc has native smb support which will beat any FUSE equivalent, right?
>
> I'll think about it some more.... :/

The point is that KIO has no way to pass the password to VLC directly (passing it on the command line would be very insecure, other users could see it).
So it's not like "VLC is out of the picture", it's rather "let's use FUSE (which will get the password) and pass the path to VLC" instead of "let's call VLC directly, but it will fail for lack of password".

At least that's the intent of this code, which seems somewhat logical to me, and isn't the heart of the matter in this commit which is supposed to fix the CI regression :-)

Shouldn't we just skip tests if ktelnetservice wasn't found?

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO