D28882: Create protocol to manage video feeds

David Edmundson noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 23 21:50:40 BST 2020

davidedmundson requested changes to this revision.
davidedmundson added a comment.

  In future, it might be faster to put up just the interface xml for review first.

  ------

  In terms of wayland protocols this is non-standard.

  All clients get a list of available sources. On bind they get all all available sources via addSource. Additional sources are new events.
  That part's fine.

  The part with nodeID is unusual. It's convention (though not technically the law) that globals broadcast the same thing to all bound resources.

  ClientA requests create.
  All clients get a created event
  There's no way to tie a created or failed to the original request
  Client A and B can both connect to the same source, yet either can call close.

  If we're doing a waland protocol I would have expected:

    ScreenCastInterface - global
    event: source_added
    event: done
    request: get_stream (returns a ScreenStream object)

    ScreenStream - resource
    event: created
    event: failed
    event: closed (closed by external sources, clients should now release the stream resource)
    request: release   (closes the stream if applicable, is also of type destructor)

INLINE COMMENTS

> screencast.xml:16
> +        </enum>
> +        <event name="addSource">
> +            <description summary="Notifies about a feed being created"/>

Typically events are like signals, so would be called "source_added"

Convention is also lower_snake_case

> screencast.xml:31
> +            <description summary="Notifies about a source becoming unavailable"/>
> +            <arg name="sourceId" type="uint" summary="the source identifier"/>
> +        </event>

this is racey with create.

REPOSITORY
  R127 KWayland