D24629: RFC: Introduce KClockSkewNotifier class

Vlad Zahorodnii noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Oct 14 11:51:58 BST 2019

zzag created this revision.
zzag added a reviewer: Frameworks.
Herald added a project: Frameworks.
Herald added a subscriber: kde-frameworks-devel.
zzag requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  The new class provides a way for monitoring system clock changes. This
  class can be useful for applications that build their logic around time,
  for example dynamic wallpapers, so reacting to system clock changes is
  quite crucial for them.

  The new class can also be useful for Night Color in KWin and time data
  engine as they two don't have support for FreeBSD. KClockSkewNotifier
  also doesn't have support for FreeBSD at this moment, however when it
  gains that, we'll have to patch only one place rather than two.

  All good stuff happens in so called "notifier engines." A notifier
  engine is responsible for detecting system clock changes and all
  platform-specific code must reside there. KClockSkewNotifier is just a
  thin wrapper around the corresponding engine, which is loaded and
  unloaded as needed.

  In long term, we need to add a couple more notifier engines. One for
  Windows(?), one for FreeBSD(?), and one that doesn't use any platform
  specific APIs but QTimer.

  "KClockSkewNotifier" is not the best name. I'm open to suggestions.

TEST PLAN
  No autotests because setting time requires root privileges.

REPOSITORY
  R244 KCoreAddons

BRANCH
  kclockskewnotifier

AFFECTED FILES
  src/lib/CMakeLists.txt
  src/lib/clock/kclockskewnotifier.cpp
  src/lib/clock/kclockskewnotifier.h
  src/lib/clock/kclockskewnotifierengine.cpp
  src/lib/clock/kclockskewnotifierengine_linux.cpp
  src/lib/clock/kclockskewnotifierengine_linux_p.h
  src/lib/clock/kclockskewnotifierengine_p.h