D18380: KIO: make file dialog columns resizable again (and movable)

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jan 19 21:03:38 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D18380#396578 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D18380#396578>, @rjvbb wrote:

  > > Maybe we can incorporate some more intelligence here
  >
  > Same commit? It is a separate issue in a sense, no - you say "it *still* starts" so not a regression I introduced?

  Well, I would say this patch doesn't actually resolve the issue yet. Making the headers manually resizable again is good, but providing a good default size so that users don't have to is better. Without that, we'll still get bug reports about the bad default size in vertical sidebars (e.g. Kate's filesystem browser plugin)

  > Danger! What happens if you maximise the dialog vertically (I have WM shortcuts for that and use them often)?! I think that no one would expect that the name column starts behaving differently all of a sudden when you do that.

  If there's still enough room to show everything without a horizontal scrollbar, then we're still good. If not, then it should start showing a horizontal scrollbar and pick a reasonable-ish width for the name column.

  > The problem here is that as far as I can tell we cannot ask Qt to calculate the column outside of the normal displaying loop, and the dialog doesn't help by not adding all items at once. Maybe a minimum width can be set (during the auto-sizing phase, to be lifted when interactive mode is enabled)?
  >
  > How "very narrow" are we talking about, and to what extent is this a real-life issue?

  It is a very significant real-life issue for vertical sidebars, such as Kate's Filesystem Browser plugin when showing Detailed View or Detailed Tree View. Play around with that and see if you can come up with something that makes those views look good out of the box with no adjustment needed.

  Basically we want for this widget to do display a sane view out-of-the-box with the file dialog and vertical sidebars, fall back to a reasonable behavior if there still isn't enough room, and finally allow the user to resize the headers manually as a last resort.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO