D18380: KIO: make file dialog columns resizable again (and movable)

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Jan 19 18:41:50 GMT 2019

rjvbb added a comment.

  > Maybe we can incorporate some more intelligence here

  Same commit? It is a separate issue in a sense, no - you say "it *still* starts" so not a regression I introduced?

  > and set a sensible default width for the Name column when the height of the view is greater than the width.

  Danger! What happens if you maximise the dialog vertically (I have WM shortcuts for that and use them often)?! I think that no one would expect that the name column starts behaving differently all of a sudden when you do that.

  The problem here is that as far as I can tell we cannot ask Qt to calculate the column outside of the normal displaying loop, and the dialog doesn't help by not adding all items at once. Maybe a minimum width can be set (during the auto-sizing phase, to be lifted when interactive mode is enabled)?

  How "very narrow" are we talking about, and to what extent is this a real-life issue? I myself tend not to be amazed when a widget like this gets garbled when resized too small. Esp. when it's like here where 2 columns remain at the same size and the left most just keeps getting smaller.

  Thought: if the width of the name column becomes less than the width of the date column, reduce the size of the date and size columns. Question is, by how much, and will it work to do that in the resize handler/slot. This can also be done just before interactive mode is activated. For instance, reduce the date column by 1/3rd, the size column by 50% and add the recuperated pixels to the name column width. I'll have a look tomorrow how that behaves.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO