D23465: Add new non standard mime type for ROOT cern files

Yuri Chornoivan noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 26 16:17:55 BST 2019

yurchor added a comment.

  In D23465#519576 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23465#519576>, @alexde wrote:

  > In D23465#519544 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23465#519544>, @ltoscano wrote:
  >
  > > The idea is good, but it should be proposed to shared-mime-info repository instead. As far as I remember from the previous discussions, this file is meant to contain a limited number of entities and possibiy disappear over time.
  >

  > In D23450#519519 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D23450#519519>, @yurchor wrote:
  >
  > > Personally, I like these icons and they can be easily used on the system (shared-mime-info) or KDE level (kcoreaddons) level with very minor patching, imho.
  >

  > Thank you for your answers. Due to lack of experience and limited amount of time on my side, can you please guide, how I accomplish this surely trivial task?
  >  Do I only need to open a modified PR against https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/shared-mime-info/blob/master/freedesktop.org.xml.in?

  Yes. The maintainers of shared-mime-info will tell you if the type is right (I think, that it would be better to use <mime-type type="application/root">, similar to PDF, but I might be wrong).

  > After that I can abandon this merge request again here?

  If the MR on freedesktop will be merged, yes.

  >   Do I need to change the naming of the icons again, [[ https://phabricator.kde.org/D23464 | which I commited today ]] or do I need to submit them to freedesktop as well? :-)

  It depends on what type will be recommended by shared-mime-info maintainers. No, there is no sense to submit icons to shared-mime-info. The icons should be reviewed here by our VDG team but their names should be chosen according to the type in shared-mime-info package.

REPOSITORY
  R244 KCoreAddons