GSoC project discussions

Thomas Baumgart thb at net-bembel.de
Tue May 12 13:45:51 BST 2020

On Dienstag, 12. Mai 2020 10:20:00 CEST Ralf Habacker wrote:

> Am 11.05.20 um 18:54 schrieb Thomas Baumgart:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Hmm, I don't know.
> >
> > What is the process to obtain new data files? How do you envision that? Is
> > this some automatic process or does it require human intervention?
> See https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-finance-apps/2020-May/000824.html

Saw that, thanks for the clarification. I was not aware of that kind of
integration into KDE but certainly don't have a problem with it. I don't
know if I have mentioned that already, but in the long run ktoblzcheck
can become a candidate to crawl under the hood of the alkimia project.
Not right now though and certainly not as part of the GSoC project.

> > I am not sure, if you need to store a 'valid_until' information in the DB.
> > What you describe above would let me think that the user cannot use the
> > data without obtaining fresh data in regular intervals.
> > I think this is not user friendly, as most of the data is still valid in
> > the following quarter as it does not change.
> >
> > What if you miss an update cycle? How do you envision to handle that in
> > the database?
>
> It would be better to use the following pattern: If this field is empty,
> the related record is valid all the time, but if there is a value, the
> record is temporary.
>
> Keeping records in the database even though they have been expired for
> more than 3 months can be useful for tracking purposes.

Valid points. Makes sense to me. Now it's Prasun's turn to make a decision, I guess.

Thomas Baumgart

Vista is the abrreviation of
'Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware'...