[Kde-finance-apps] Re: Development environment

Guillaume DE BURE guillaume.debure at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:03:16 CEST 2011

> > Also, you could take a look at the ER sent by Guillaume, and identify
> > those entities that would suit most the payment side of the use case
> > (that's an actual ER of the Skrooge application, and we're probably
> > going to use it as a base for all this).
>
> As far I understand this ER, Skrooge does not support multi-currency. But I
> might be mistaken, but I don't see how one could transfer money from an
> account in one currency to another one held in another currency.  Certainly
> Guillaume can comment on this.

Skrooge supports multi currency. In fact, for Skrooge, a currency is a unit. an operation (or transaction) is a quantity of certain units. Some examples:
* 1200 €
* 100 $
* 63 Google Shares

An account can contain many operations not necessarily of the same unit. If you own an investment account, it can contain operations made for different unit types. Like purchasing 63 Google Shares, or selling 200 EADS Shares. In order to have an understanding of the amount of money it represents, each unit has values expressed in currency.

Example, as of today, the Google Share (unit, of type Share) has a value of 503,21$ (unit, type currency), which represent 349,18 € (unit, primary currency). Because these three units have been declared in Skrooge, and because Skrooge can download daily values for these units, it is able to express the value in euros for your US Google Shares.

Now that you understand the units behaviour in Skrooge, you may understand that transfers between different account in different currencies is possible. If I transfer 100$ from one account to another one, skrooge will register two operations:
* a debit of 100$ on the origin account (even if all other operations are in €). In the list of operations, however, the value of the operation will be displayed in the primary currency. Here is a screenshot that may be more explanatory: http://imagebin.org/158117
* a credit of 69,39€ is created on the target account

If anything stays unclear, just ask :)

By the way, sorry for not committing the ER diagram to Alkimia yet, will do it in a few minutes !