KDE Review: Skladnik (t.g.f.k.a. KSokoban), returning a KDE1-KDE3 age dino

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Sat Jan 27 17:22:35 GMT 2024

Hi,

moving slowly, but moving :)

Would there be any objections to declare the kde(re)review phase to be
successfully completed now? See below for comments on the checklist.

Am Sonntag, 12. November 2023, 22:57:55 CET schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> Hi,
>
> REVIEW PHASE START
>
> please note the start of a kdereview phase for Skladnik. The checklist issue
> has been created here: https://invent.kde.org/games/skladnik/-/issues/2

Thanks to Carl (and perhaps others) who had a look that time and tested and
gave feedback.

There are only 2 open checkboxes:

[ ] Passing CI job for Reuse linting

The challenge is that there are a number of old files where the contributors
might be hard to contact for an explicit license statement (CMakeLists.txt,
AUTHOR, Messages.sh, ...)

Given the same is true for most other KDE games and then some KDE software,
and Skladnik is actually some (very) old KDE software, just other than its KDE
games siblings for some time had been excluded from release coverage, I would
ask us to make a pragmatic exception on the requirement here.
(I have e.g. contributed 29 MRs to licensedigger, that should show I am very
supportive for REUSE support in general, not trying to get cheap out here :) )

Even more as the CI reuse linting job currently hacks around the fact that
most po files are not REUSE compliant, by "rm -rf po/ poqm/" before running
"reuse lint".

As side effect of looking at things this triggered:
* Raising attention with translators on the work waiting in this domain:
  https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-i18n-doc/2024-January/002051.html
* Proposing approaches for KDE CI running REUSE lint with a blacklist:
  https://invent.kde.org/teams/automation/issues/-/issues/5#note_856623

[ ] App packages in Flatpak, Snap, AppImages and Windows etc as appropriate

Not involved with any of those packages/platforms, but I assume that checkbox
is rather some kind of "nice to have", not blocking the process actually?

Externally already packaged by Arch, Alpine Linux, Gentoo, Manjaro, Parabola,
by list on https://repology.org/project/skladnik/versions

> RELEASE PLANNED FOR NOV 20th
>
> While the phase is running, in parallel I plan to do a first (well, after 15
> years of none, see below) release Monday, November 20th
> (string freeze in master since today).

Release since happened, as 0.5.0, and this year some translations update
0,5,1.

> ABOUT
>
> First commit in Aug. 30th 1998, first released by the name KSokoban with KDE
> 1.1, to be part of KDE for 10 years up to the last KDE 3 release. Then
> stalled over Qt4/KDELibs4 porting, though the last 15 years bit by bit
> ported by different people to since last year even build and run against
> future Qt6/ KF6...
> time to get it finally back to releases rolling and rejoin the other
> historic KDE games, as it still can entertain.
>
> Skladnik is an implementation of the Japanese warehouse keeper game
> “sokoban”, and the new name to replace (trademark-challenging) KSokoban. It
> is a small logic game to play by a single person (+ over-the-shoulder
> watchers) in breaks for a few (or more) minutes per level.
>
> Learn details at
> * https://apps.kde.org/skladnik
> * https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/skladnik/skladnik/introduction.html
> * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokoban
>
> For a related impressive website, including steo-by-step solutions, see
> https://ksokoban.online/

Cheers
Friedrich