Adopting AppData in KDE?

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Sat Nov 2 21:54:12 GMT 2013

2013/11/2 Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>:
>>> Who's doing the quality review?
>>
>> Well, if an upstream ships a valid .desktop file and a valid AppData
>> file then that's a good indication it's at least alive.
>
> That sounds like an argument in favor of changing the standard
> frequently and requiring the latest version; apps implementing the
> latest version are clearly active!
There are some things I would like to see changed in the AppData spec,
but changing it is not the point ;-) The point is that the AppData
spec provides us with sufficient data to present applications to the
user in a nice way.
In theory, AppStream was designed to be used without AppData, so there
are not many limitations when not using AppData. However, AppData
greatly enhances the metadata shown by software-centers, and is
therefore very useful to have.
Cheers,
    Matthias