Proposal for branching policy towards KF5

Torgny Nyblom nyblom at kde.org
Sun Jul 28 10:33:58 BST 2013

On Friday 26 July 2013 23.53.07 Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Fri, July 26, 2013 21:11:21 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 July 2013 18.24.50 Michael Pyne wrote:
> > > The 'logical module groups' might play a role in the release process
> > > after
> > > a release is done, but shouldn't have any further role for tagging that
> > > can see. i18n is covered above.
> >
> > Wouldn't this be nice to have as the source of branch info for the
> > releases? One place to have this information instead of duplicate it for
> > each tool/user?
>
> I think I see what you're talking about, but the release team essentially
> just make their own branch already, make their tags, that's it. Things are
> generally not tagged directly from master or any other development branch.

Not quite :), when we make a release the tags are put on the release branch,
i.e. KDE/4.10 for the last stable release. The release branch/tag is a thing
of the past that was used in the SVN days.

The only release team only thing is that we keep a list of modules/branches
that we should tag modules from. Since this will be the same as the "stable"
branch I see no reason why we should hide this information in the release
tools repo.

/Regards
Torgny