Proposal for branching policy towards KF5

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Jul 27 04:53:07 BST 2013

On Fri, July 26, 2013 21:11:21 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Thursday 25 July 2013 18.24.50 Michael Pyne wrote:
> > The 'logical module groups' might play a role in the release process after
> > a release is done, but shouldn't have any further role for tagging that I
> > can see. i18n is covered above.
>
> Wouldn't this be nice to have as the source of branch info for the releases?
> One place to have this information instead of duplicate it for each
> tool/user?

I think I see what you're talking about, but the release team essentially just
make their own branch already, make their tags, that's it. Things are
generally not tagged directly from master or any other development branch.

It's true that our proposed 'stable-qt4' branch would generally be hooked up
to a release branch, so there's no theoretical reason why we couldn't later
add released branches for the SC/Platform/*Desktop. But I think it would be
easier to use sane and consistent branch naming policy for release purposes,
with any exceptions clearly known.

Even with kde-workspace, there's no technical reason I can see why we can't
have both KDE/4.11 and KDE/4.12 (when we get to that point) pointed to the
same commit once we're in LTS mode on that, if we're worried about people just
trying to checkout KDE/4.12 for everything.

Are there tools that have to maintain this data for themselves though? I do
agree with the idea of centralizing it so if that's an issue I say let's see
what the impl would look like and see if that works out.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne