Moving Trojitá to extragear

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Mon Dec 10 10:16:40 GMT 2012

>> [: Jan Kundrát :]
>> For the record, the current setup is based on lconvert and a bunch of
>> Python scripts (see [1] and [2]) which convert .pot produced by scripty's
>> 4.6.3 version of lconvert into something which actually works.
>
> [: David Faure :]
> I'm interested in more details about this, given that the tier1 frameworks
> in KDE Frameworks 5 also use tr() and therefore will need something
> similar.
>
> Do your scripts support MyObject::tr("foo"), with its implicit "context"
> [...]

For the first time in KDE, Jan is actually doing exactly what should be done
with pure-Qt code. The system that all other pure-Qt pieces of code in KDE
repos use, was a hack from the start, and should be gradually moved away
_from. (Ki18n in KF5 will still provide it, not to annoy people, but with big
deprecation notes.)

The idea is that Scripty runs lupdate to create the TS file from the pure-Qt
code, then lconvert to convert it to POT, and deletes the TS and commits the
POT to the translation repository. When making a release, the maintainer
pulls in translated POs and includes them in the tarball (as extragear
packages normally do), and the build system runs lconvert to convert POs to
TS, and then compile and install them as usual for Qt-based translations. In
this way, everything rests on lupdate and lconvert doing their job properly.
For semantic differences between Qt and Gettext, it is upon lconvert to
define an unambiguous two-way mapping.

The scripts Jan had to write are a temporary fix, due to Scripty machine
having too old lconvert which produces broken POTs. Once lconvert is
updated, no third-party scripts should be necessary.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)