synaptiks – KDE touchpad management

Sebastian Wiesner basti.wiesner at gmx.net
Thu Feb 25 14:11:24 GMT 2010

On Thursday 25 February 2010 11:07:50 John Layt wrote
> […]
>
> My one question is how does this compare to kcm_touchpad which the kubuntu
> guys use (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=113335)?  Which
> is more mature, which has better features, which has a better
> architecture, which has better usability, etc?  Could the projects be
> merged?

synaptiks and kcm_touchpad had different aims in the beginning.  I wrote
synaptiks as touchpad management tool to automatically switch my touchpad off
in certain situations, not as touchpad configuration module (personally, I was
fine with X.org or HAL configuration files for this purpose).  kcm_touchpad
however wants to provide a configuration module covering all important touchpad
settings.

This is reflected by their features.  kcm_touchpad is most likely far ahead of
synaptiks in terms of touchpad configuration, and provides much more settings.
On the other hand it apparently still largely lacks the touchpad management
part.

I have never used kcm_touchpad and can't say much about its usability and
features.  But I've looked at it sources, because some time ago, I have
already been asked to merge by code with kcm_touchpad.

Both projects use completely different programming styles, and have a largely
different architecture.  Therefore I don't think, that they can easily be
merged, at least beyond re-using each others user interface.

Personally, from my of course highly biased point of view, I can't say, that I
like the source code of kcm_touchpad.  If you wish, I can name reasons for
this attitude, but I'd rather not like to do so.  Being the author of one of
the discussed applications, I don't think its fair, if I criticized the other
application's sources without its author being present to respond and to
defend his work.

                                      (Rosa Luxemburg)