Eigen, a shared linear algebra library for KDE apps

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jul 27 19:38:12 BST 2006

Well we talk a lot about it on irc (#koffice, not really the most obvious
place to discuss this ;) , but apparently the people interested by that
library happen to be there at the same time.)

So first, the discussion was to choose the same dependency for all kde
application interested in a basic linear algebraic system, so there was
discussion about vxl/vnl, boost/ublas (+lapack), gsl, whatever. But there was
some concern about the "size" of this dependency, while nowdays hard drive
are huge and a dependency of 5 Mo to 10 Mo is acceptable even if you only use
a subset of the functionality of this library, some of the concerned
application (kalzium and marble, mostly kphysics too probably) are also
shipped on live CD where disk space is still a problem.

So the first idea was to use (for instance) boost, which is template library,
and therefor only bring a build time dependency. But then some developers
were needing advanced functions (least square for instance) which required
lapack, so the idea was to only copy/paste the concerned functions into the
applications. That's how the idea to have our own library, and by reusing
code from existing project, and if this code is C based, to transform it to
be C++.

--
--- Cyrille Berger ---