RFC: kinfocenter-patch for KDE-3.5 (Junior-Job)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Sat Aug 26 19:20:42 BST 2006

Dne sobota 26 srpen 2006 13:57 Helge Deller napsal(a):
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm the maintainer of kinfocenter.
> As such, I marked in february the bug 88625 (JJ: KInfoCenter should improve
> PCI view) as Junior-Job (http://dot.kde.org/1094109399/). Now, a new and
> talented KDE developer (Hannibal <hannibal at megapolis.pl>) implemented this
> feature for KDE-3.5, and I'm finally fine with his patch.
>
> But since there is a partially-lifted feature/string freeze in place, I
> would like to ask here, if it's OK to apply his patch. Main reason why I
> ask is, because his patch introduces around 400 new strings (although most
> of them are technical, e.g. "500mA" which often don't need translation).
> You may view his patch here:
> http://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=17508&action=view
>
> Comments ?
> Ok to commit ?

 It seems to fail some requirements for new 3.5.x features
(http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=114304642132670&w=2), most notably
being in trunk. The real question, though, is: Why should this patch be so
important to go into 3.5.x, especially given the large number of new i18n
strings?

 Also, after a quick look the patch is technically not completely correct:
- "__attribute__ ((packed))" is clearly non-portable, see KDE_PACKED in
kdemacros.h
- "static QString strEnabled=i18n("Enabled");" and things like that don't
belong in header files. First of all generally KLocale may not be initialized
yet while constructing global objects, so i18n() will be a no-op and this
doesn't work, secondly placing global objects in header files is a bad idea
because it creates copies of them (and thirdly it just doesn't matter to try
to do an "optimization" like this). See I18N_NOOP().

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz