RFC: kinfocenter-patch for KDE-3.5 (Junior-Job)

Bram Schoenmakers bramschoenmakers at kde.nl
Sat Aug 26 13:13:27 BST 2006

Op zaterdag 26 augustus 2006 13:57, schreef Helge Deller:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm the maintainer of kinfocenter.
> As such, I marked in february the bug 88625 (JJ: KInfoCenter should improve
> PCI view) as Junior-Job (http://dot.kde.org/1094109399/). Now, a new and
> talented KDE developer (Hannibal <hannibal at megapolis.pl>) implemented this
> feature for KDE-3.5, and I'm finally fine with his patch.
>
> But since there is a partially-lifted feature/string freeze in place, I
> would like to ask here, if it's OK to apply his patch. Main reason why I
> ask is, because his patch introduces around 400 new strings (although most
> of them are technical, e.g. "500mA" which often don't need translation).
> You may view his patch here:
> http://bugs.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=17508&action=view
>
> Comments ?
> Ok to commit ?
>
> Helge
>
> PS: Please CC me on mails. I'm currently not subscribed to the KDE lists...

Whoa, 400 is still pretty much. Wouldn't it possible to use more placeholders
instead of 100 mA, 200 mA, 300 mA in different strings? That would reduce the
amount of strings significantly.

In my opinion it wouldn't be a good idea to allow two big string additions for
one bugfix release (because the merge of Kopete 0.12 was allowed some time
ago for the upcoming 3.5.5 release)

So for now, I'm against. But my opinion could be altered if you manage to
reduce the amount of new strings (no promises, though ;) )

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers
KDE Netherlands (www.kde.nl)