please update to cmake 2.4.3

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Aug 16 18:11:27 BST 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 10:54, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 August 2006 10:17, Michael Olbrich wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 09:06:03AM +0200, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > Any chance of putting this off a few more weeks?  Perhaps till after
> > > akadamy? Having one less piece of software that we have to build
> > > manually ourselves means a lot for anyone starting up from scratch.
> > > The hope being that by giving it more time some distros will have
> > > picked up 2.4.3.
> > >
> > > Even Debian has 2.4-patch 2 now (a very good thing).
> >
> > cmake 2.4.3 is already in debian unstable. It can be installed in
> > testing without requireing any other unstable packages.
> >
> > # apt-cache policy cmake
> > cmake:
> >   Installed: 2.4.3-1
> >   Candidate: 2.4.3-1
> >   Version table:
> >  *** 2.4.3-1 0
> >         500 http://debian.tu-bs.de unstable/main Packages
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> >      2.4.2-1 0
> >         300 http://debian.tu-bs.de testing/main Packages
> >      2.0.5-1 0
> >         150 http://debian.tu-bs.de stable/main Packages
> >

> > michael
>
> So in a few weeks it will be in testing.  I am just trying to point out
> that this isn't a critical change (at least that is the impression I got
> from the e-mail) and the more time we can give between cmake releases and
> requiring it, the more likely developers will have it automatically
> upgraded by their package manager making it less of a big deal and less of
> a hassle.

Yes, the update is not critical, but it would be nice.
cmake 2.4.3 users get different (better) handling of dependencies for
generated files and different RPATH handling. And some things can be cleaned
up and some minor performance improvements can be implemented.
So right now if somebody comes up with problems at first I have to figure out
which cmake versions he has and then try to remember if the specific problems
he has is already fixed in 2.4.3.

I don't want to wait with this until after akademy.
In Trysil the most problems people had had to do with generated files, so I
*really* don't want to spend the week in Dublin by fixing dependency problems
which would be working without problem with 2.4.3.

So how about September 12th ?
Makes a four week warning period, and a more than 4 month period since the
last cmake update.
(Changes in qt-copy or kdelibs are often done with no major announcement and
cause much more recompilation for everybody).

Bye
Alex