Preparations of KDE 4.0 Snapshot 1

mETz mETz81 at web.de
Tue Aug 8 08:28:48 BST 2006

On Monday August 7 2006 23:55, Jaison Lee wrote:
> I don't understand the purpose of this snapshot. From what I've seen
> KDE4 is spectacularly unusable unless you run your apps in a KDE3
> session, and trunk-wide changes are still being made all the time. Who
> exactly is this snapshot release targetted for?

I second that. From an application developers POV there's nothing interesting
available yet (notable exception is phonon which people could write backends
for).

Sure, everybody can start porting their KDE3 apps when there's a snapshot but
AFAIK that's already happening in kde-svn, without a snapshot! To please
external developers with a snapshot it should really have some cool new API
(@see Qt 4.2 TP). Looking into a QT4ish KDE3 is probably not attracting new
developers.