[kde-announce] Announcing KDE 3.2

Till Adam till at adam-lilienthal.de
Thu Feb 5 06:37:13 GMT 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 07:11, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Thursday 05 February 2004 06:46, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 February 2004 06:35, Frans Englich wrote:
> > > Regarding the bug database - there is a huge amount of BRs and a lot
> > > of them are irrelevant and others are easily fixed.

[snip]

> > > Wouldn't it be
> > > possible to do a minor KDE release which was not released before the
> > > bug count has gone below a reasonable amount?(since the code freeze
> > > most likely would be longer that would also allow translators to do a
> > > thorough job) Or some kind of cleanup verification, each BR would
> > > have to be flagged as being valid(verifying it have been looked at)
> > > or close/fix it.
> >
> > That's what we are doing all the time. The bug reports aren't that bad
> > maintained as one could think when reading your statement. I don't see
> > how any special actions could improve the situation. More people
> > actively working on the bug database would improve the situation, but
> > that doesn't need any changes in the way it is done.
>
> Yeah, it's all about manpower, no question. But if we had a RD who said "We
> will not release /until/ the count has dropped to X" I think people would
> care in a whole another way. Just a wild idea.
>
> Anyway, it's nice to hear the problem is basically non existent.

It's not non-existant. The bug database could really do with some more loving,
although I agree with Cornelius that it is not as bad as it seems. But simply
declaring a release threshold (we had one for 3.2 by the way, I believe) does
not magically make a band of gnomes (no pun intended) appear who go through
and weed out all the duplicate wishes, for example.

Hopefully the janitor initiative will bring forth help in that area.

Till