Konsole and Terminal icons [Re: Oh well...]

Vadim Plessky lucy-ples at mtu-net.ru
Mon Nov 18 10:51:48 GMT 2002

On Sunday 17 November 2002 4:26 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
|  On Sunday 17 November 2002 11:00, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
|  > BTW the shell is good for computer geeks - no (windows) user is familar
|  > with "shell" for konsole. And the symbol only works for english
|  > language. it does not make a good association in german (except a petrol
|  > company).
|
|  Yes, I thought the seashell in the konsole icon was a well known bug (it
| would make a great example in a textbook on international icon design) and
| it surprises me that it hasn't been taken care of in the new icons.

I am wondring what people would think about my icons for Konsole and Terminal
applications (see attached 48x48 icons)
I have spent a lot of time *thinking* how terminal and console icons should
look like.
Some people have CRT monitors (which is reflected in KDE's Hicolor icons),
other - LCD (see Crystal variants).  I am notebook user, and my LCD panel is
connected to its body, plus it has Black color.
So, I though tfirst to have LCD-like design with cover in  black.
But first attempts demonstrated that few people can regonize monitor/display
in such design, not speaking about console or terminal.

So, finally I ended with attached variants.
Those designs are simple, but can be recognized quite well IMO. And icon with
shell- like spiral gives me right reference what I am going to launch (empty
screen, etc.)
// Waldo: what do you think about such variant of shell?
Terminal icon displays prompt. Should it have something else?
Do people use '>' or '$' as a prompt?
I am afradi that novice users would think of Money when they see $ sign on
panel.  Or I am wrong here?

|  See also e.g.
|  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/ut1_report/exploring_desktop.html
|  for a discussion of the gnome-terminal icon.

Thanks for the link, haven't seen it before.

|  Cheers,
|  Waldo

BTW:  I created SVG variant of "Classic" KMail icon (with Orange E), which has
many dislikers and as many followers.
Anyone interested to see it?  Or people are already used to Crystal and don't
want "good old" KMail icon with huge orange E? :-)

--

Vadim Plessky
SVG Icons