[SOK24] Season of KDE 2024 starts! A warm welcome to our new contributors ...

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Mon Jan 15 13:05:03 GMT 2024

Dear SOK24 Contributors, welcome to Season of KDE :)

Today, we're proud to announce the selected projects for SOK24 -- see
below for a list of all projects selected this season, but don't skip
over the information here in your excitement!

Later today we will also publish an announcement on the Mentorship blog
(<https://mentorship.kde.org/blog/>) and Discuss.

SOK24 Work officially starts this Wednesday 17 January. Over the next 10
weeks you will work closely with the mentors of your projects. Never
hesitate to ask your mentors or us (kde-soc-management at kde.org) when you
have questions.

For those of you whose projects haven't been selected, it is not the end
of the road. You can still contribute to KDE projects outside this
program. Contact the teams, discuss ideas, and implement them! We'd love
to have you join our community :)

All SOK24 contributors will receive a second email with a list of to-dos
and information about registering for KDE services. This email will
contain a lot of important information, so please read it carefully.

Note: It is very important to subscribe to the 'kde-soc' mailing list at
<https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-soc> as soon as possible.
This is the official communication channel for Season of KDE and we will
send all updates there.

And now, for the selected projects, drum roll please ...

These exciting projects from 18 new contributors (!!!) have been
selected to participate in this year's edition of the program: 1 KWin, 2
translation, 2 Kdenlive, 4 KDE Eco, 1 Accessibility/KDE Eco, and 8
LabPlot/Cantor.

(1) *KWin*
         * Anurag Thakur: "Move brightness control to KWin and add
per-screen brightness control"
           - Mentor: Xaver Hugl

(2) *Hindi Translation*
         * Akash Kumar: "Hindi Translation of tellico and merkuro
application"
           - Mentors: Raghavendra Kamath, Benson Muite

(3) *Hindi Translation*
         * Asish Kumar: "Hindi Translation of KTorrent, KDE connect,
Cantor and Merkuro"
           - Mentors: Raghavendra Kamath, Benson Muite

(4) *Kdenlive*
         * Ajay Chauhan: "Add Multi-format Rendering to Kdenlive"
           - Mentors: Julius Künzel, Jean-Baptiste Mardelle

(5) *Kdenlive*
         * iceneko (pseudo): "Enable editing of keyframe curves and
advanced keyframe types in Kdenlive"
           - Mentors: Julius Künzel, Jean-Baptiste Mardelle

(6-7) *KDE Eco* (Collaborative Project)
         * Amartya Chakraborty: "KdeEcoTest: Adding support for windows"
         * Athul Raj Kollareth: "Improve KdeEcoTest tool using kwin
scripting API and uinput"
           - Mentors: Emmanuel Charruau, Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss

(8-9) *KDE Eco* (Collaborative Project)
         * Sarthak Negi: "Testing and development of KEcoLab"
         * Aakarsh MJ: "Testing and development of KEcoLab"
           - Mentors: Karanjot Singh, Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss

(10) *Accessibility/KDE Eco*
         * Pradyot Ranjan: "Selenium automation of energy measurement /
accessibility tests for KDE applications"
           - Mentors: Nitin Tejuja, Rishi Kumar, Emmanuel Charruau

(11-12) *Cantor/LabPlot* (Collaborative Project)
         * Dhairya Majmudar: "Extend the embedded documentation for
supported Computer Algebra Systems"
         * Saksham Gupta: "Extend the embedded documentation for
supported Computer Algebra Systems"
           - Mentor: Alexander Semke

(13) *Cantor/LabPlot*
         * Krish Jain: "Enhance Cantor with package management capabilities"
           - Mentor: Alexander Semke

(14) *Cantor/LabPlot*
         * Anshul Dalal: "Proposal to integrate KTextEditor into Cantor"
           - Mentor: Alexander Semke

(15) *Cantor/LabPlot*
         * Mahfuza Humayra Mohona: "Proposal for Enhancing LabPlot's and
Cantor's Documentation"
           - Mentor: Alexander Semke

(16) *Cantor/LabPlot*
         * Israel Galadima: "LabPlot: Download/Import of data sets from
kaggle.com"
           - Mentor: Alexander Semke

(17) *Cantor/LabPlot*
         * Raphael Wirth: "MCAP Support for LabPlot"
           - Mentor: Alexander Semke

(18) *Cantor/LabPlot*
         * Mihir Kumar Singh: "Integrating TSDB support to LabPlot"
           - Mentor: Alexander Semke

To all of our new contributors, thank you very much for your drive to
gain experience and improve FOSS at the same time. The mentors and
mentorship team, as well as the broader KDE community, are sure you'll
create something fantastic over the course of this season.

Looking forward to all of your achievements in the coming weeks!

Cheers,

Joseph and Johnny
(on behalf of the mentorship team)

Hashtag: #SOK24
(uppercase O for screen readers)

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss at floss.social