[discussion] archiving and retiring the Dot

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Oct 3 15:15:43 BST 2023

On Dienstag, 3. Oktober 2023 08:53:24 CEST Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2023-10-02, Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss <joseph at kde.org> wrote:
> > In this context, a radical idea came up: perhaps we can archive and
> > retire the Dot altogether.
>
> I'd like to come up with an alternative proposal:
>
> Make the dot more used:
>  - Make it easier to submit articles there
>  - Retire all project blogs in favour of the dot
>  - Make planet only for personal blogs

- Make planet only for personal blogs about KDE related things.

> And that would also leave better room for posts I would love to see on
> the planet by KDE contributors:
>  "I taught my 5-year old to control a plane"
>  "I reordered my bookshelf by height. This is why"
>  "I tried vegetarian cooking; this recipe is amazing"
>  "Please remember to vote in the upcoming election in my home country"

I wouldn't want to see any of this on Planet KDE. I'd be on Facebook, Insta,
X, whatever, if I was interested in such content.

Citing https://invent.kde.org/websites/planet-kde-org/-/blob/master/README.md
"Blog content should be mostly KDE themed and not liable to offend. If you have
a general blog you may want to set up a tag and subscribe the feed for that
tag only to Planet KDE."

I fully subscribe to this.

Regards,
Ingo