[discussion] archiving and retiring the Dot

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Tue Oct 3 07:53:24 BST 2023

On 2023-10-02, Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss <joseph at kde.org> wrote:
> In this context, a radical idea came up: perhaps we can archive and
> retire the Dot altogether.

I'd like to come up with an alternative proposal:

Make the dot more used:
 - Make it easier to submit articles there
 - Retire all project blogs in favour of the dot
 - Make planet only for personal blogs

Isn't most "project blogs" workarounds to having it hard to have news
items about the projects posted in the right place (the dot)

All project blogs are kind of statements and news from the project as
opposed to statements from individuals.

Some examples:
 "App is now eco certified" => dot
 "How I reduced power consumption of app" => blog/planet
 "Akademy 2031 is hosted on Mars" => dot
 "At akademy, I found this place serving authentic filled-crust italian
 pizza" => dot

And that would also leave better room for posts I would love to see on
the planet by KDE contributors:
 "I taught my 5-year old to control a plane"
 "I reordered my bookshelf by height. This is why"
 "I tried vegetarian cooking; this recipe is amazing"
 "Please remember to vote in the upcoming election in my home country"

For me, dot is about project news; planet is about the life of the
contributors to the community.

/Sune