[announcement] Telegram bridging to be retired Wed. 20 Sept. | 5 to-dos

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Wed Aug 23 12:56:13 BST 2023

On 23.8.2023 14.24, Paul Brown wrote:
> A lot fo good ideas we can use to reach a compromise, but this ...
>
>> KDE members are of course free to participate in discussions anywhere
>> they want, but loading KDE resources (sysadmin team & machines) with all
>> possible proprietary network doesn't seem a priority for me.
>
> ... 😬
>
> By that logic, would you have a problem if Promo stopped managing Facebook
> (65,000+ followers), Xitter (120,000+ followers), LinkedIn (17,000+
> followers), and Reddit (100,000+ followers)? These are all proprietary and all
> load KDE's resources. But it is KDE's Promo resources.
>
> If Promo didn't manage these platforms, KDE would gradually lose this
> audience, and I can prove that with graphs.

It's not the same logic. Chat platforms with bridging infrastructure
need moderators/user support + sysadmin time + hardware. 3rd party
social network platforms need moderators/user support. If Facebook et
al. would be bridged to the KDE chat infra (dark magic like this might
awaken the Great Old Ones and should not be attempted), it would be the
same logic.

Ilmari