[announcement] Telegram bridging to be retired Wed. 20 Sept. | 5 to-dos

Paul Brown paul.brown at kde.org
Wed Aug 23 12:24:02 BST 2023

A lot fo good ideas we can use to reach a compromise, but this ...

> KDE members are of course free to participate in discussions anywhere
> they want, but loading KDE resources (sysadmin team & machines) with all
> possible proprietary network doesn't seem a priority for me.

... 😬

By that logic, would you have a problem if Promo stopped managing Facebook
(65,000+ followers), Xitter (120,000+ followers), LinkedIn (17,000+
followers), and Reddit (100,000+ followers)? These are all proprietary and all
load KDE's resources. But it is KDE's Promo resources.

If Promo didn't manage these platforms, KDE would gradually lose this
audience, and I can prove that with graphs.

Now, all these platforms are complex to manage and are permanently moving
their goalposts. Several of the platforms and their users are infuriatingly
cumbersome to handle, but the larger KDE community does not seem to mind as
long the coverage and clicks continue to flow.

Note that I don't think this was intentional on your behalf, in the light of
the above,  one would be excused if they took your comments as to suggesting
that some KDE resources are less valuable than others. You seem to suggest
that it is okay to unload an important WG from a problem, but give no thought
on how it may negatively impact another "less important" team.

Let me be clear: most of us do not enjoy having to work on those platforms, as
no-one in Promo has a special love for Telegram. But we have to manage it all
the same.

As I have said elsewhere, we are happy (very happy, in fact) to move
everything we can to Matrix, but some things will just not move. And we need
the tools to manage that audience and keep everybody together. The alternative
is we gradually lose them, as we would lose the 300,000+ people on the other
proprietary platforms if we stopped interacting with them.

Cheers

Paul
--
Promotion & Communication