using gitlab ultimate

Agustin Benito (toscalix) abenito at kde.org
Wed Aug 2 16:20:42 BST 2023

Hello Harald,

Over the years, we have had similar discussions like this one, that
is, convenience vs principles, several times. You can check "Official
KDE mirror on github", around Sept. 2015, on this mailing list, for
reference. You will find some of the arguments that both parties can
put on the table there, with the corresponding counter arguments, if I
remember correctly. I remember learning a lot from that discussion.

Link: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-community/2015q3/001507.html

Different times bring different perspectives to the same arguments
but, since this discussion involves principles, I doubt that much has
changed. So do not be surprised if "principles" beat "convenience"
once again.

Now, if there is pain that developers feel every day, it is more
productive to open a debate focused on mitigating that pain in a way
that is compatible with our principles. Hopefully you will find
support there. So my question to you is...

What is the pain you would like to reduce or that process you would
like to improve to become more productive?

On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 3:41 PM Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 4:35 PM <christoph at cullmann.io> wrote:

> > > I'll not stop you :)
> > > Until that happens the argument stands.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I don't think using commercial non-free solutions as the primary tool
> > for our development
> > is a good idea.
> >
> > Beside that, that is billed per user: https://about.gitlab.com/pricing/
> >
> > e.g. $1188 USD per year per non-guest user
> >
> > That looks like a lot money to pay given we have more than 10 users,
> > even if it
> > has less costs if you buy xxx accounts.
>
> It is my understanding that they are giving it away for free to free
> software projects.
>
> HS

Best Regards

Agustin Benito (toscalix)