planet forwarding to discuss?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Wed Jun 21 16:53:08 BST 2023

Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2023, 17:20:09 CEST schrieb Nate Graham:
> On 6/21/23 16:57, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 21. Juni 2023, 16:20:21 CEST schrieb Nate Graham:
> >> Regarding the topic of having comments split across multiple places, I'm
> >> afraid that ship has sailed. I have comments on my blog, and the
> >> discussion nevertheless gets split across Reddit, Mastodon, Phoronix,
> >> and Discuss already.
> >
> > Isn't it a difference if a discussion happens at some external place or if
> > it happens in some KDE place? People might rather expect the original
> > post author around in a KDE one, no?
>
> The concern sounds quite theoretical and I'm not sure it's actually a
> problem in practice. Have you had this experience in the past?

It is as theoretic as the idea that people have been waiting to discuss blog
posts on discuss.kde.org instead of general purpose sites they already have
accounts for other things in their lifes. Not that many people circle just
aronud "KDE".

And actually not that theoretic concern, see below.

> Speaking from personal experience as someone whose blog posts are
> syndicated quite widely, I've never once run into the expectation that I
> would be available for comment on the old forum.kde.org, or the new
> discuss.kde.org. On the contrary, the only place I've experienced this
> expectation has been on Reddit, which we don't have control over.

Well...
* blog posts had not been covered on forums.kde.org(?), so nothing to compare
* discuss.kde.org is intended to replace kreddit? so expectations transferred?
* "it's not a big ask to expect KDE devs to visit Discuss at times"
  in the very email that triggered my initial reply :)

To summarize:
please have that as an opt-in to invite people to discuss blog posts on
discuss.kde.org.

Friedrich