Showing respect (was: Re: The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation)

Christian Loosli kde at fuchsnet.ch
Fri Jun 12 14:17:46 BST 2020

Am Freitag, 12. Juni 2020, 15:04:34 CEST schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:

> I am missing what this email thread here should achieve, despite being
> demotivating for those whose product is talked about or even bad-mouthing
> them. We all know there are big and small flaws. Those get fixed by people
> working on them. Not by people showing off their knowledge that there are
> flaws. And I doubt the developers of the products do not know about the
> flaws. They just do not have the resources left to handle them, given
> resources are limited.

My personal hope would be that some solutions could be discussed, e.g. on how
to get more developers, if some parts should be dropped / rewritten instead of
fixed etc.

I definitely don't say that other KDE apps or Plasma do not have issues, but
in my personal, daily workflow, PIM is the place where I get stuck more often
than not. Most recent example is the one I mentioned in my initial reply, that
kmail would not let me reply to an e-mail for a minute with a semi-helpful
popup message with an cycling-progressbar.
Personally I'd prefer the discussions being non-ranty and non heated, but
removal of KDEPim was not discussed in the Phab task you linked for the first
time, I remember a rather lenghty rant from a Gentoo packager, too.
(Who was proposing to ship pre-akonadi KDE PIM as long as possible).
These rants are obviously hurtful to people working on the software, but I
also think they might show a bigger frustration that needs to be addressed.

So I think if we can shift focus a bit on pieces of a "KDE distribution" that
are vital for work (and I consider PIM very vital) that need more (urgent)
attention than others, then that would be great. That's why we have specified
goals, it is to focus.

And focus does not mean laying blame on people, I'm sure the KDE PIM
developers do their very best with the limited ressources and the complexity
they have to tackle. It means trying to help.

> Cheers
> Friedrich

Kind regards,

Christian