Showing respect (was: Re: The KDEPIM / Akonadi situation)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Fri Jun 12 14:04:34 BST 2020

Am Freitag, 12. Juni 2020, 05:11:31 CEST schrieb Nate Graham:
> However I think there is a bigger challenge that just the technical
> issues. My interactions in bug reports have been quite negative, I have
> to say, and I don't feel like the developer culture is very welcoming
> right now.

It takes two to tango. I have not had negative experience with KDE PIM people.

And Nate, if I saw you advocating to have my KDE software removed from KDE-
centric distributions (even more when triggered because some proprietary-
privacy-screwing service support being broken, is that what KDE is about?)
like in https://phabricator.kde.org/T12486 , that would magically lower the
quality of my interaction in bug reports with you as well. And no, this is not
about who started.

Please, let us keep this a community working together, not against each other,
and one showing respect to each others efforts. All of Plasma, KDEPIM,
KDevelop etc. pp. have lots of issues. We could be bitching about each others
products all day long and where their developers have not instantly cared
about our very important issues and our oh so very clever and well done
solution/fixes/improvements, with all their politeness, spending all of their
time just for us, or where we see them going wrong ways and how they fail to
meet other products quality and features.
He, one could use Gnome, Visual Studio Code, Thunderbird. etc. pp., who needs
KDE!!1!

I am missing what this email thread here should achieve, despite being
demotivating for those whose product is talked about or even bad-mouthing
them. We all know there are big and small flaws. Those get fixed by people
working on them. Not by people showing off their knowledge that there are
flaws. And I doubt the developers of the products do not know about the flaws.
They just do not have the resources left to handle them, given resources are
limited.

And when you compare KDEPIM to Evolution and Thunderbird, you also want to
compare the current resources behind. Which of those products has developers
behind that work on them during paid jobs, not only in their leisure time?

I am happy to be able to use KMail, all the years.

If you want to help KDEPIM, but cannot become the needed qualified developer
to help by being another resource yourself, see to make business plans instead
to organize the needed resources to get more funded developers. If you also
cannot do that, bad luck. World will not be improved by you.
PIM is more complex given all the various data and service specifications and
various buggy implementations of them which have to be handled to please user
expectations. And you have to be able to also manage massive amounts of data
without annoying the user by waiting times. It's not what your beginner/
amateur developer can easily do. KDEPIM thankfully still has some professional
developers around who invest their leisure time now and then. I am thankful
they do, so KDEPIM is not dead. From my few bug reports in the last months,
some of them were fixed the other day or were already before.

Cheers
Friedrich