[kde-community] Fundraising

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Jul 11 09:20:34 BST 2014

On Thursday 10 July 2014 Jul 12:10:34 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> So, today we finished two fundraisers. Randa and Krita.
>
> Randa reached almost Eur 15.000, Krita closed at amost 20K. Congrats to both!
>
> I blogged yesterday about how we, imho, fail to reach enough people in our
> quest for more freedom [1]. That had of course a wider scope - but KDE is a
> part of this struggle. I know we don't all share this as a highest goal - we
> care about many different things.
>
> But for sure, most of these goals would greatly benefit from improved funding
> of our e.V. And funding would go better if we managed to reach more of our
> audience - KDE *users*.
>
> The question I ask myself is: what percentage of KDE users had the
> opportunity to contribute to our fund raisers? How many *knew* about it?

I'm going a step further and am wondering how I can reach people who aren't KDE users, who aren't in the free software world -- if I look at the kickstarter overview, I really failed getting traction outside the free software world. I've attached a print of the Kickstarter dash so you can see where the money comes from. For Krita, the most important referrer outside krita.org is blendernation. Which shows that the blender world is much bigger than I realized.

Our traditional communication channels, the dot, the planet, our own social media accounts don't seem to have much reach.

At the same time, I found it _impossible_ to interest media in the Krita kickstarter, even though we were in the top-ten software projects pretty much all the time, a kickstarter staffpick and the most popular Dutch kickstarter during the entire campaign.

It's only on Tuesday that I'll have an interview -- and that's still for a computer magazine, not an art magazine. I will mention KDE, of course :-)

--
Boudewijn Rempt