[kde-community] Proposal One: KDE (Core) Apps and Suites

Agustín Benito toscalix at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 12:40:52 BST 2014

Hi,

> On the other hand you are totally right. KDE has always had a problem to
> get people to accept KDE applications on other desktops since "KDE foo" has
> always been interpreted as "foo for KDE (the desktop)" rather than "foo
> from KDE (the community)". With our rebranding of KDE going forward,
> although slowly, we need to be careful that we don't end up in the exact
> same situation again but with "Plasma" instead of "KDE".

"KDE foo" has been traditionally linked to the need of "loading a heavy
block of libraries for just running a single app". We are working on this,
right?

The battle to change the mindset is fighting this idea, no diluting the
brand. We are identified based, among others, on two basic concepts:
* Integration.
* Solid community/project.

You have been behind them for years :-)

Our brand is an asset that we should use in our own benefit. We are already
taking a big risk on diluting it with the current strategy of releasing
separately the different layers of our stack. We haven't evaluated yet the
impact and we are talking about going further.

We are playing with fire. And we will only know if we got burned in a
couple of years. The following months, with the "heat of the news", if we
do the marketing it well, and we will, it will look like we took the right
decisions.....but that perception might be wrong, in the same way that in
our previous transition it was perceived at the beginning that we took
wrong decisions, but we didn't.

Instead of increasing the risks of diluting our brand, we should be
focusing on making it stronger, at least at this point. This strategy
should be compatible with addressing our natural evolution as project,
moving from a single unit to a meta one.

Let's not forget that there are millions of people out there that care very
little about our tiny individual/group differences, messages, goals.... We
have not succeeded yet in selling a single message widely, or at least as
wide as our software deserves.

I read these proposals and, at the end, they talk about sending several
messages, splitting resources, promoting the pieces.... . As strategy, I
think we are heading in the wrong direction. Not because it is a bad idea
to go in the proposed one, but because it is not based in our strengths in
terms of message.

If we want to succeed with our current resources, it is way easier to base
our actions, promo included, in our strengths, not in our weaknesses,
hoping that, with promo, we are going to solve them.

Saludos
--
Agustín Benito Bethencourt
Profile: http://es.linkedin.com/in/toscalix