Debian multiarch library directories

Sune Vuorela sune at debian.org
Mon Dec 12 00:19:49 UTC 2011

On Sunday 11 December 2011 18:27:30 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know what exactly the situation is with Debian multiarch.

Great. I will try to answer your questions brief, but exact.

> So, if I am on a 32bit x86 installation, is putting a library into
> /usr/lib/ ok ? (i.e. will it work, even if not recommended)
> Or will it work _only_ in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ ?

It will work in /usr/lib, the transition to the multiarch paths is a long and
slow one.

> What about library dirs in /usr/local/, /opt/whatever/ ?
> Does the tuple have to be used there too ?

in /usr/local, afaik yes. in /opt there aren't really any usages.

> How does cmake work with it ?
For finding things, it works. I'm not sure cmake has code to automatic put
things in a multiarch path

> Does it find library in /usr/lib/<tuple>/ ? (I think so)

yes.

> Does it find cmake's Config.cmake files in /usr/lib/<tuple>/cmake/ ?
> (I hope so)

yes

> Does it find them too if they are simply in /usr/lib/cmake/ ?

yes, but then you might get file conflicts if you are having several
architectures installed at the same time.

> What about the usage of /usr/lib64/ on 64bit systems ?
> Is that still ok ?
> Or should now only either /usr/lib/ or /usr/lib/tuple/ be used, but not
> /usr/lib64/ ?

putting things in /usr/lib64 has never been ok on debian systems.

/Sune
--
Do you know how to close the analogic AGP virus?

From Excel you have to turn off a controller for logging on a hardware of the
CD board of the Fast site.